Saturday, June 30, 2007

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Yesterday we set out for our annual trip to Missouri at 12:30 p.m. About 45 minutes later, just past Park City, Brooke started puking. It was awful (I won’t go into details, and don’t worry, I didn’t take photos to include with this post). Things were made worse by the fact that she had previously drunk red fruit punch and we were in a rental car with light tan seats.

We pulled over at the first little gas station we could find and I spent the next hour cleaning up Brooke and the car. We cleaned the gas station out of plastic bags as I used them to bag up the soiled wet wipes, clothing, car seat cover, blanket, pillow case and Cabbage Patch Kid. All this time we debated continuing on or going home to clean up properly and avoid the same situation continuously occurring over the next 20 hours.

Finally we made the hard decision to turn around and go home. The kids cried most of the way home (Brooke finally zonked out). They were heartbroken that they wouldn’t be seeing Papa Lewis. We pulled into the driveway at 3:30 p.m. I can honestly say that was about the shortest “vacation” I’ve ever been on.

We’re thinking maybe if we save up, we could afford to fly out to Missouri in September when Luke is off track (year round school). I’d rather sit on a plane for 5 hours with a barf covered kid than in a car for 20!

1 comment:

Maylene said...

Oh Heather...that is so sad that you guys didn't even make it out of Utah (but I had to laugh because I HATE cleaning up yucky messes when Sydney has gotten sick). Strawberry yogurt and blueberries is not a good idea if your kids are going to be sick later on!