Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Roll Saga, Part 1

Today I’m trying out rolls. Making them that is. I’ve searched my cookbooks and my cousin Maylene’s cooking blog for one I want to try. Most of them have ingredients I don’t have on hand (and I’m NOT going back to Wal-Mart today!!!). So I pulled out the Potato Roll recipe I got back in college (circa 1994-95) from a Dorm neighbor.

I made it for the first (and only time) a couple of years ago. Back then I used homemade mashed potatoes. It didn’t work out as well as I hoped. They were rather lumpy (yes, I’m saying I make lumpy mashed potatoes!!) and I don’t think I let them raise right. I wanted to have them for dinner, but they were ready to cook too early. My solution? Punch down the dough and stick it in the fridge until dinner time. Maybe that would have worked, but I didn’t leave enough time for the rolls to rise again after I made them into balls.

Anywho, today I thought I’d try it out again, but this time with instant potatoes. So far things are looking good. As I don’t know how long to let the dough raise before I make it into balls, I’m panicking and looking for answers online and in cookbooks. So far I have found, according to Maylene’s only roll entry, after I roll them into balls I should give them about an hour.

I’m starting to think Rhodes Frozen Rolls should just always be in my freezer, and I should just stick to making desserts...

No comments: