Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We Can't Be Good At Everything

I can build a BBQ grill. I can install computer parts. I can install computer software. I can use jumper cables. I've layed tile and done grout. I can paint walls and put up a border. I'm not too shabby at fixing toys. But I CAN'T get the hang of photo editing software!!!!

I've seen your digital scrapbooking (Kelli, Allison, Heidi, MarKay), and I long to do it. I don't have proper software. I have the MS Picture It! that came on my computer and I have putzed my way through designing a couple of funeral programs, but I don't know how to do cool scrapbook layouts and blog titles (yeah, I did mine, but it looks crappy).

I got a free trial of FotoFusion's Scrapbook Essentials software yesterday and I've played with it a little, but it wasn't as easy as the demo video lead me to believe. Shoot! I guess if I sit and read the help and watch all the videos I might get it figured out. My trial period might be over by then... Photoshop Elements might just have their back up by then and I'll try it out too. I don't give up easily...there has to be an idiot-friendly software out there!

Another of my laments is that my photo taking skills aren't what my mind dreams they should be. I have read the manual for the camera I have and yet I can't get it to take a decent photo indoors. I just don't have the patience to be a photographer I guess. I'll just have to continue to enjoy other people's talents and feel envious.

I suppose I should listen to myself. As I tell my son, "We can't be good at everything. So just be happy to be good at something." I'm pretty good at getting by.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Oh, Heather! We still need to get together for a little class. Jaqui is bugging me for one to... maybe next Wed. I think Jaqui is checking her schedule for that day too. I use photoshop primarily, but there are somethings I have to do in PictureIt. Once you get the hang of Photoshop it is really not that hard.