Friday, August 29, 2008

Some Not So Nice News

Late this afternoon Jason got the results of the shave biopsy he had done on Tuesday. Apparantly what he thought was a mole that recently appeared on his nose is really basal cell carcinoma.

Basal cell carcinoma is one of the two most common forms of skin cancer. If you are really interested, here is some info about it: http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_cancer/article.htm.

Now we are waiting for the dermatologist's office to call and schedule surgery to remove it. Jason will be having Mohs Surgery. It "is a micrographically controlled procedure, providing the most precise method for removal of the cancerous tissue, while sparing the greatest amount of healthy tissue." We found this info about Mohs surgery online (thank goodness for Google) at http://www.drwilliamting.com/Surgical_Dermatology.html.

The doctor told Jason that there will be a pathologist there for the surgery who will test things as they go along to make sure they get it all.

We're thankful that he decided to go in and get the bump checked out.

10 comments:

Stephen Purser said...

Jason and Heather, I am sorry about the news. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Kelli said...

I am so sorry for this news! I hope that everything will work out. Let me know what I can do. When is the surgery? I can take care of the kids if you need me too.

J said...

I am so sorry to hear this!! I hope the surgery goes well. My family will have Jason and you in our thoughts and prayers.

jess said...

both my dad and Ryan's dad have had this Mohs surgery. I think my dad has had it 2 or 3 times. (we are unfortunately a skin cancer family) This procedure seems really careful and thorough at the same time. I'm glad you got it checked, and let us know how it goes

Amanda said...

Wow! I hope everything will go well and I hope for a great outcome. Sorry you are having to go through this!

Jaqui said...

..... :) I've been thinking about you all day. You know I'm here... for all of you.

Stephen Purser said...

Jason, I want you to know this does not mean I will let you win in Fantasy Football. The game is ON!!!

Shannon said...

Wow! Heather and Jason! This is why I have to keep up on the blog updates! I have totally cut back on blog reading time and I am so sorry now. I am glad that you went on the safe side and got it checked out so you can have it taken care of. I am available for bbsitting nights if you need!

ducknme said...

I'm so glad he decided to get it checked out too! It pays to be caredul. If you need anything, holler. I'm usually around.

Shauna said...

Sorry about the news. I'm also open to watch kids if you need me to.