Friday, July 18, 2008

Leaving On a Jet Plane

I have never been able to sleep the night before a vacation.  I'm always worried that I will  forget something important (and I'm a little excited to be leaving the routine behind).  But this time, I've been kinda panicky all week.  Last night I got home from GNO and watched a little Shear Genius and fell asleep.  After 2 1/2 hours I woke up and couldn't fall back to sleep. 

I should have gotten up and blogged, read or watched t.v., but I was giving it my all trying to fall back to sleep.  I don't know when I finally fell back to sleep, but I do know that I woke up at 6:30 panicking about printing off our boarding passes, so I just got up then and dealt with it.

My tummy has been doing flip flops for 2 days now and I'm fighting to stay calm.  I think the biggest reason this is starting so early is because we are flying.  I've never flown with 2 small children before.  I'm the type of person who likes to travel with just a carry-on bag when flying.  Now I have to carry all the stuff to keep a kid entertained - food, DVDs, iPods, stuffed animals, booster seats... 

How does a worrywort plan for a vacation you ask?  Well, I'm planning the shoes the kids get to wear - sandals, not flip flop (so they don't fall off if we have to run in the airport).  I'm wondering if they should have backpacks, or if I should.  They can't be heavy in case I have to carry them too, and they can't have anything important (like an iPod) in them in case they are left behind.  I've put address labels on the boosters in case I leave one on the plane (or airport).  I'm even debating whether or not to take pictures of my packed bags in case someone likes what they see when they are searching our stuff.  I keep reminding myself that my father-in-law has a washing machine, so I don't need to take our entire wardrobes.  I did remember to go buy replacement space bags for wet swimwear and dirty laundry.

Breathe, breathe...I keep reminding myself that there is a Walmart on the other end of this flight. I keep reminding myself that Jason will be there too.  And I just keep reminding myself that at the end of the flight I will be rewarded with a lovely Steak-n-Shake Side-By-Side™ Milk Shake (or perhaps a Sippable Sundae™ Milk Shake). 

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yes Heather keep breathing.
Your will do fine. I have flown with 2 small children smaller than yours (18 mo. and 4 yrs). You will survive and it won't be as bad as you are fearing. We went all the way to Florida. You are going to have fun. I will miss you and your blog updates:) I can't wait to hear all about it.
You will come home more appreciative of daily routines.

Jaqui said...

I'm going to miss you! No Heather for almost two weeks. :( Have fun. You'll do fine, but realize you are completely normal. I think we all stress like that before a trip. Be safe.

Maylene said...

I completely understand your panic! I hate flying with kids...even older ones like Sydney. I hope you have fun though, where ever you are going! That's so funny about Walmart being at the other end of the flight! I am the same way, if we are going anywhere (like Bear Lake) that doesn't have Walmart, Target or Costco...I get a little anxious. Your reward sounds yummy!

Jaqui said...

I just realized that I never commented on a memory that I have of you. So here it is:
I had heard about this amazing Heather Shepherd for along time from Kelli and Katie. Then when our wards re-aligned you brought me the primary binder, and I asked your name. You said "Heather" and I said "What's your last name?". You said, "Shepherd" and I was like, "Ohhh, so that's her. She's pretty." But I wasn't brave enough to tell you. Then you sat by my at soccer. I was so nervous that day because we were joining that team and you guys had been together for awhile and all of you had been in the same ward for a long time. Anyway, I loved that you talked to me and we just clicked. I told Kelli that I loved you and she should have introduced us sooner. She said, "I tried to get you to come to our dinner group." So then I regretted that we didn't. I could have known you all that time! So, thanks for getting to know me, being my friend and helping me get comfy in our new ward.

Another great memory was when you were put on my visiting teacher list. I thought, "Yes! Now I have permission to stalk her!" And now we are building up a good stash of memories to keep me happy while you are away. :)

Jennilynn said...

Your idea of taking pictures of luggage isn't half bad- I may do that next time- then I can prove my camera was in there! Just kidding, hope you have a wonderful time!