Friday, July 11, 2008

Oquirrh Mountian Temple Experience

On Wednesday Lynene told us that they would be placing the Angel Moroni Statue and spire on top of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple today at 7:30 a.m. I planned on being there. I forgot.
My friend Shannon called my cell around 10 a.m. and asked me "Have you been here all this time?" I was like "Been where?"

Shannon: "Aren't you here at the Temple?"

Me: "OH NO!! I forgot all about it!!!"

Shannon: "They are running behind schedule. They just got the spire on, and the statue will come next. If you leave now, you should make it."

Me: "Thanks! Kids - get in the car NOW!!!"

When we got there 10 minutes later (or less), they still hadn't put the statue up. Mitchell and Bailey met us at the beginning of the sidewalk and walked the rest of the way up the hill with us. I thanked Shannon again for being kind enough to call me. She had been there since 7:15 a.m. We walked over to the gate and saw the statue still on the truck.

This is what the Temple looked like with the spire on top (before the Angel was placed):

While we waited a kind lady offered our kids otter pops. Thank you kind stranger for sharing your otter pops with us! It now dawns on me that I was a perfect target for a baddie of some sort- accepting free otter pops from strangers without thinking because we're in front of a religious building... Anywho, poor Shannon had to take off for an eye appointment before they raised the Angel. We swapped cars so her kids could stay (I still don't have a minivan). About 10 minutes after she left two guys went up in a bucket and started working on the tip of the spire. 30 minutes or so after that, they lowered one of the cranes and hooked up the statue and began to raise the Angel.



There were news choppers flying around getting photos and such, and by noon, the Angel was in place on the top of the spire. People started clapping. It was such a neat opportunity. Have I mentioned how I'm really grateful to Shannon for calling me?

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Shannon said...

You're funny! I am glad I called you too. It ended up I needed you to be there! Thanks for taking my kids for me, hopefully they will always remember this day. You made it possible for them to see the final touch!

Amy said...

What a neat thing. I didn't even know about it. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope that you have so much fun on your trip. Be safe, we will miss you!

Jaqui said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm sure it was an amazing experience.

jess said...

what a neat thing to be part of!