Sunday, July 06, 2008

Sailing On The Friendship

In no particular order (seriously, so don't get all offended by your number!!!):

Friendship 1: I met you in the Mother’s Room while we were nursing our babies. You had twins and I had a fussy baby (my first), so that gave us plenty of time to talk and get started knowing each other. I’m thankful for our friendship. We may not talk as often as we used to, but at least we have blog stalking to keep us connected!

Friendship 2: We were on the Enrichment Committee together. You seemed to know and be friends with everyone. I envied you. I wasn’t even sure how to say your name – I just mumbled or said it really fast hoping nobody would notice. Then our hubbies were called to teach Primary together. We had a BBQ with the kids and found that we were expecting our second kids at the same time. Friendship grew out of that association. We may not hit Vegas as often, but we still have Tucanos…

Friendships 3, 4 & 5: You were my Sophomore roommates at Ricks and after. You are my sisters forever. We may be in different places, but you are always in my thoughts. In fact, I’m thinking it’s time for a reunion!

Friendship 5: You were a friendly person in the Relief Society presidency. I thought you would be cool friend, but I was too shy to get to know you. Plus, I figured you already had a best friend in the neighborhood. I have since learned that both of you could be my friend independently of each other. And that your really are a cool friend.

Friendship 6: Met you in the hallway at Church. We have girls 6 months apart and we sort of visited and chased them around. I didn’t know your name and was too embarrassed to ask you what it was. I remembered your daughter’s though – it is the same as my little sister’s. Then you were called to be my Cub Scout partner and I was excited and relieved because I already sort of knew you (and now I knew your name…). We may not be in the same ward anymore, but at least we still have soccer practices, book group and playdates!

Friendship 7: You decided to move. You used Jason to sell your house. It took a year all said and done, but in the end we became great friends. Your decision to sell was an answer to my prayers – not for the commission’s sake, but for a friend.

Friendship 8: I can’t remember how we met. Soccer? Book Group? Because our boys were in preschool together? However it was doesn’t matter – it just matters that we did! We share so many sames and we can listen to each other shed a burden. I thank you for that. I’m always in awe of what you accomplish – especially when you think you can’t do something. You go above and beyond with your calling and your business. My kids enjoy all three of your kids (and so do I).

Friendship 9: You may be new to my circle of trust, but you are like an old friend. I’ve enjoyed getting to know you these past few months. I’m glad I got brave and started to talk to you at soccer practice (thank you Ellie for wanting to keep playing. I owe you!!) Even though you look a little like your sister, I’ve never found myself comparing you to her.

Friendships 10, 11 & 12: Thanks for letting me tag along. We’ve bowled, gone to hockey games (and Albertos after) and played strategy games into the early (5 a.m.ish) hours of the morning. We had deep and ridiculous conversations and I’m thankful for our time together.
Friendship 13: Reams. Roxanne. Frontier Pies. Late night phone calls and your guitar.

Friendship 14: The Murdock Group. Seattle. Portland. Hawaii. I miss you!

There are so many others who have touched my life and others that I’m just getting to know. Be patient, it may take me a while, but we’ll get there too!

4 comments:

Amy said...

You are so sweet!
Just for the record I remember when you were still new to the ward and Jason was the gospel doctrine teacher on the stage in the chapel and I thought you were going to be too cool to be my friend so I MADE my daughter crawl over by your daughter to be able to say hi to you.
Shy people can be so silly sometimes.
Thanks for being my friend too.

Jaqui said...

Ohh, I love you. I am SO glad you talked to me at soccer. You kept me from feeling like a looser...which I have felt like at soccer before. Because you were so nice, I didn't feel as insecure about meeting new people in our ward. I'm so glad you're my friend. You are a sweetheart. P.S. My family loved Luke's 'look' on the stand today at church!

Kelli said...

Heather, this is so sweet!!! I think I am on here... j/k! I am so thankful we are friends! And I am really sad to know you were doing fireworks by yourself... we would have totally crashed your party had we know there was one. We assumed you were with family :( Love you!

PS we must be kindred spirits! I was thinking lots about my friendships this weekend. I was going to blog about it today too, but then I spent the afternoon organizing my scrapbook stuff on my computer. Now I am too tired to blog. But some how I have enough energy to type this extremely long comment!

jess said...

who knew that sequestering yourself in a nursing lounge could result in friendship? Its a good thing we are so dedicated to the nutritional needs of our babies, right? :)